Friday, August 7, 2015

Morningrise

Because Opeth.


Creative Commons License Morningrise (charcoal) by RR is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

About a year and a half ago I started a new art project. Partly because I missed the creative process of working and being super busy and focused and immersed in bringing something to life, and this was an idea that I'd wanted to do for a long time.

I love this picture. The Palladian bridge in twilight. So forgotten, empty and lonely. It sort of represents a memory of something so beautiful that once was, that's now so unrecognizable in the present, yet familiar in the past. The contrast is so stark that a deafening silence just washes over you, commanding sombreness and respect. Like the memories of a loved one who died.

In some way it makes me think of some of my most tangible vivid memories of Trichy - the spectacular view of the full moon from a terrace, long after all the machinery of the world has gone to sleep and the day is done, on a landscape as still as stone, with only the sound of the wind whispering through the trees, when every moment feels like a lifetime. So peaceful, so beautiful and yet so sad. I'm glad I remember.

I certainly took my time doing this. Charcoal sure takes a lot of patience.

 1. Some initial work
 2. Some more detail
 3. Blackness
 4. Like glass
 5. Starting to come together..
6. Detail, detail, detail
 7. More detail
8. Almost done
 9. Detail!
10. Darkening


















~~~~ 

No comments: